Monday 21 May 2012

Harlan M. Krumholz, MD, SM: "... when there is an opportunity to speak truth to power, I hope you will consider doing it."

Posting this on my virtual bulletin board:

A Note to My Younger Colleagues. . .Be Brave

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the strong forces that steer us into conformity, and Dr Krumholz has much to say about that. And he quotes a colleague, Victor Montori:


If you find yourself with some time (not a lot), let me recommend Letters to a Young Contrarian by Hitchens.1 His argument that clarity emerges from conflict is compelling. And for conflict to emerge, ie for clarity to emerge, someone has to take a position. The question you ask is whether this should be you, now, and at this stage of your career.


If you learn by critical analysis and thinking, if you share the results of this thinking with passion and honesty, you will find fertile ground for growth. This may not happen with certain people or in certain places but will happen. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

As the Vulcans say: "I rejoice in our differences". Comments, questions and differing opinions are welcome.

Because of spam, comments are now moderated.