Saturday 4 January 2014

ALWAYS-WRONG 1990

I am in a box.
It is too small for me.
It is labelled PATIENT.
There is no room for all of me in this box.
There is no room for dignity.

And how can I stop being a patient 
without dignity?
How can I get out of the box
without showing that I belong in it?

To live without dignity ...
To accept that there is no room for dignity ...
That is to be a permanent patient. 
And to fight for dignity 
is to prove that I am a patient.
Because the lack of room for dignity ...
That is just a paranoid fantasy ...

Isn't 
it?


I wrote this in 1990, before going to a medical appointment. A year later I discovered that I had been "a borderline psychotic" in the health services for many years, and that everything I said about how I functioned confirmed that I had lost touch with reality.

During the confusing years before I found out about the diagnosis, I thought that I had the same rights in the health care system as a lawbreaker has in the the judicial system:
  • A right to know what I am suspected of. 
  • A right to accusations that are so precise that they can be disproved.
  • A right to self-defense.
  • A right to take responsibility for my own actions. 
Yesterday I sent these four points out on Twitter as a wish list, it was good to read that Sunniva Ørstavik, our Equality and Anti-Discrimination Ombud, has the same wish: 
And I wonder: Will I see some changes in my lifetime?

Norsk versjon/Norwegian version :
http://ingridvaa.blogspot.no/2012/09/alltidfeil-1990.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment

As the Vulcans say: "I rejoice in our differences". Comments, questions and differing opinions are welcome.

Because of spam, comments are now moderated.